Add a confetti of color and flavor pizzazz to your plate with this simple recipe. This dip is packed with vegetables and can be used to intensify the flavor of sandwiches or wraps, and is a great compliment to your fresh vegetable crudité platter. Pair this recipe with whole grain dippers like whole grain flatbread or whole wheat tortilla chips, which can help boost your fiber intake for cancer protective benefits.
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional; to taste)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss eggplant, squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, salt, fresh ground pepper together on heavy rimmed baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Roast until vegetables are slightly softened and roasted, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting.
- Remove sheet from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle. Transfer vegetables and pan juices into food processor. Add minced basil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper (if using). Blend until smooth.
- Serve with whole-grain tortilla chips, pretzels or as a non-dairy topping for whole-wheat bagels or sandwiches.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.