The American Institute for Cancer Research® is a nonprofit, tax exempt organization whose purpose is to provide funding support for research into the relationship between diet, nutrition and cancer and to expand consumer knowledge about the results of such research as it relates to cancer prevention and treatment in the United States and worldwide. Contributions to AICR are deductible for federal income tax purposes.
For the fiscal year ending September 30, 2020, the Institute’s expenses totaled $14,084,577. Of that amount, 16% was spent directly in support of cancer research, and 47% of expenses went in support of the Institute’s public education programs in cancer prevention. Together, research and public education programs accounted for 63% of all expenditures by the Institute. Fundraising costs for the year were 20% of total expenses and 17% of expenses went to administrative costs.
Other agencies in cancer research traditionally have been committed to chemotherapy, radiation and surgery – areas other than nutrition. And, recent budgetary restrictions have further squeezed nutrition to the fringe of their priorities. AICR, which was founded in 1982, is one of the main funding organizations that focuses specifically on issues of diet, nutrition and cancer.
A free copy of our latest Audited Financial Statements may be obtained by writing to our headquarters, AICR, PO Box 97167, Washington DC 20090-7167, 1-800-843-8114, www.aicr.org.
From time to time AICR rents or exchanges its list of supporters with other trusted organizations to benefit AICR’s programs and activities. If you do not wish to participate in AICR’s list rental or exchange activities, or if you wish to modify the frequency of future communications from AICR, please write to us at our headquarter’s address above or complete the form at www.aicr.org/optout.
FLORIDA – A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE, 1-800-435-7352 (800-HELP-FLA) WITHIN THE STATE OR VISITING www.FloridaConsumerHelp.com.
REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. Florida Registration number CH487.
GEORGIA – A full and fair description of the programs of AICR and our financial statement summary is available upon request at the office and phone number indicated above.
MARYLAND – For the cost of copies and postage, documents and information filed under the Maryland charitable organizations laws can be obtained from the Office of the Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401.
MISSISSIPPI – The official registration and financial information of AICR may be obtained from the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office by calling 1-888-236-6167. Registration by the Secretary of State does not imply endorsement.
NEW JERSEY – INFORMATION FILED WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL CONCERNING THIS CHARITABLE SOLICITATION AND THE PERCENTAGE OF CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED BY THE CHARITY DURING THE LAST REPORTING PERIOD THAT WERE DEDICATED TO THE CHARITABLE PURPOSE MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY BY CALLING (973) 504-6215 AND IS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET AT www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/charfrm.htm. REGISTRATION WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT.
NEW YORK – You may obtain information on charitable organizations and obtain a copy of our latest financial report from the New York Attorney General’s Charities Registry at www.charitiesnys.com or, upon request, by contacting the Office of the Attorney General, Charities Bureau, 28 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10005, or calling (212) 416-8686.
NORTH CAROLINA – FINANCIAL INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ORGANIZATION AND A COPY OF ITS LICENSE ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE STATE SOLICITATION LICENSING BRANCH AT 1-888-830-4989. THE LICENSE IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT BY THE STATE.
PENNSYLVANIA – The official registration and financial information of AICR may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.
TEXAS – Contributions made to the American Institute for Cancer Research are used for fundraising expenses, administrative costs, public education and program services. In the last fiscal year AICR raised a total of $16,279,595. Its expense distribution was 20% to fundraising, 15% to administration, 48% to public education, and 17% to research. Together research and public education programs accounted for 65% of all expenditures by the Institute. The cost of this solicitation is charged partly to fundraising and partly to public education. The American Institute for Cancer Research was founded in 1982. The information above reflects past performance and is no guarantee of future costs.
VIRGINIA – Virginia residents may obtain financial information from the State Office of Consumer Affairs, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Services, PO Box 1163, Richmond, VA 23218.
WASHINGTON – Washington residents may obtain financial information from the Charities Division, Office of the Secretary of State, State of Washington, Olympia, WA 98504-0422, 1-800-332-4483.
WEST VIRGINIA – Residents may obtain a summary of the registration and financial documents from the Secretary of State, State Capitol, Charleston, WV 25305.
WISCONSIN – A financial statement of the charitable organization disclosing assets, liabilities, fund balances, revenue, and expenses for the preceding fiscal year will be provided to any person upon request.
Registration with any of these state agencies does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by any state.