This fall soup is full of deep orange carrots and bright red apples, colorful representations of the changing season ahead. Both foods contain cancer-fighting fiber and other potent protective compounds like beta-carotene (carrots) and quercetin (apples). A blender or food processor makes this dish decadent and creamy without a lot of calories.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white part only, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2- inch slides
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In Dutch oven or large pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion and leek and sauté for about 4 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Mix in carrots and apple. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until carrots are soft. Remove pot from heat and set soup aside to cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to pan and heat before serving. If soup is too thick, add more broth, as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnishing each serving with mint.
If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor please contact our Corporate and Foundations Relations Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. All AICR Healthy Recipes meet AICR recipe guidelines and are reviewed and analyzed by AICR Registered Dietitians.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.