French cuisine doesn’t have to mean rich, buttery dishes. This salad, originating in the French Riviera, is the perfect light summer entrée with a variety of nutrient-rich plant foods and a little lean protein. Our recipe is close to the traditional, but easier to assemble with options for canned tuna and frozen green beans. You can even prepare the ingredients ahead of time and dress with simple oil and vinegar right before serving.
- 16 Romaine lettuce leaves, torn into large pieces
- 2 (6 oz.) cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 1 1/4 pounds baby potatoes, cooked and halved
- 1 pound trimmed fresh green beans or 1 package frozen green beans, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. capers, rinsed and dried
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and dried (optional)
- 1/4 cup olives
- 8 very thin slices red onion
- 2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Arrange lettuce leaves to cover a large serving platter.
- Mound the tuna in the center of the platter and arrange the potato halves in a ring around the tuna. Arrange cooked green beans around potatoes and sprinkle capers over potatoes.
- Alternate the hard-boiled eggs, tomato wedges, and anchovies (if using) around beans. Sprinkle olives over salad and arrange onions on top.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and garlic. Whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, making sure to moisten the tuna well.
This recipe is reprinted from The New American Plate Cookbook, which features 200 mouth-watering recipes and color photos. It is available from bookstores and online booksellers. Proceeds from sales fund cancer research.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.