Millet is a soft-textured whole grain that’s perfect for casseroles and one-pots. And now, research shows that whole grains can help lower your risk for colorectal cancer. Cooking the grain and vegetables at the same time will give you a healthy dinner or side in only 30 minutes.
- 1 cup millet
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds*
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced parsley
- Fat-free, reduced sodium vegetable broth*
- Cook the millet according to package instructions, *using broth instead of water for more flavor.
- A few minutes before millet is done, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add mushrooms, onion, celery, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until mushrooms have released their liquid.
- Add cooked millet to vegetables in skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the millet seems too dry or too thick, use a little extra broth to thin the mixture.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and parsley and serve immediately.
To toast pumpkin seeds, put them in small skillet over medium-high heat and stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned. Immediately transfer to small dish and cool.
This recipe is reprinted from The New American Plate Cookbook, which features 200 mouth-watering recipes and color photos. It is available from bookstores and online booksellers. Proceeds from sales fund cancer research.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.