Slow cookers can make healthy cooking easy. This pulled chicken sandwich will satisfy your barbecue craving without the red meat and smoking of a traditional southern recipe. Tomato paste, garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce make a richly flavored marinade for the chicken. Add the roasted poblano peppers to infuse the dish with a kick of heat. Serve on whole-wheat buns with a cool coleslaw and dream of warmer summer days.
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 lbs. skinless and boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 2 poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 large onion, halved and cut crosswise into ½ -inch slices
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- In 6 or 8-quart slow cooker, combine tomato sauce, paste, Worcestershire sauce, chopped onion, garlic, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Spread mixture to cover bottom of cooker.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of sauce in cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Arrange poblano halves skin-side up on baking sheet. Bake until skin is blistered, 10 to 13 minutes. Wrap peppers in foil and set aside for 5 minutes. With your fingers, pull off skin. Cut peppers lengthwise into ½ -inch strips. Scrub your hands thoroughly.
- After chicken has cooked for 2 hours, add poblanos and sliced onion to slow cooker, distributing them over chicken. Cover and continue cooking until chicken shreds when picked at with fork, about an additional 4 hours.
- Remove chicken to plate. One piece at a time, using 2 forks, shred chicken pieces by pulling them apart. Return chicken to slow cooker and mix with sauce, stirring vigorously.
- To serve, toast buns. For each sandwich, place bottom half of bun on sandwich plate, top with one-sixth of the pulled chicken and cover with bun top. Serve with coleslaw and pickle spears.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.