One of the easiest ways to get healthy, delicious plant-based meals on the table is through cooking satisfying skillet meals. You cook and serve right out of the skillet, which means less time for cooking and clean up! This delicious, 100% plant-based recipe highlights the comforting versatility and satisfaction of whole potatoes, cooked with onions, garlic, mushrooms and white beans, with a creamy sauce and crunchy cashew and parsley topping. Each serving is rich in plant protein, fiber, healthy carbs and fats, vitamins and minerals. Pair this recipe with a crisp veggie salad, and you have a wholesome meal that is satisfying for the whole family.
Potatoes are a wholesome, plant-based food that provide vitamin C, fiber and potassium for a moderate amount of calories. Including potatoes in your diet in healthy preparations, such as this delicious, veggie-packed dish, is the way to go for optimal health. And eating a more plant-based diet has multiple health benefits, including better cancer protection. Go ahead, pack your diet with more plant foods—whole grains, pulses, fruits and veggies (like potatoes) for good health. Start with this super easy recipe, which will appeal to your whole family—plus, the leftovers are just as good the next day!
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat plant-based half and half (or unsweetened plain milk of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 small (about 4.5 ounces each) potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 15-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup ground cashews
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional garnish)
- Heat oil in large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- While vegetables are sautéing, in a small bowl whisk together half and half (or milk of choice), cornstarch, yeast, nutmeg, paprika, ground mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour sauce into skillet and stir until sauce thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add potatoes to skillet and fold into sauce with a spoon.
- Gently mix in beans until ingredients are well distributed.
- Remove from stove, cover with foil and place on top rack of oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with ground cashews and return to oven. Bake for 15–20 minutes, until potatoes are tender and surface is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with chopped parsley, if using. Serve in skillet.
Written for AICR and the Idaho Potato Commission by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian, who is a plant-based food and nutrition expert, journalist and blogger.
If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor please contact our Corporate and Foundations Relations Department at email@example.com. All AICR Healthy Recipes meet AICR recipe guidelines and are reviewed and analyzed by AICR Registered Dietitians.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.