There’s nothing better than fruit-forward desserts, which offer flavorful, colorful and healthy twists on traditional sweet treats that are often packed with added sugars, refined grains and saturated fats. One way to enjoy fruit-filled desserts is in a simple crumble. Just start with seasonal fruits to create a delicious fruit filling, then blend whole grains, spices and nuts as a crunchy baked topping. By enjoying more wholesome, fruit-forward desserts, you can fit in more servings of fruits into your day, which is a healthy habit for the whole family. Eating more colorful fruits is linked with lowering your risks of heart disease, obesity and cancer.
This recipe is packed with the goodness of seasonal fruit, including health-protective cranberries and apples. It’s also filled with whole-grain flour and oats, which can help protect your heart, boost your gut microbiome and reduce your risk of colon cancer. With only a small amount of added sugar, it’s a sweet treat you can feel good about.
- 10 oz. fresh or frozen cranberries, unsweetened
- 3 medium apples, peeled, sliced
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Whole Grain Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place cranberries and apples in 9-inch pie dish or baking pan. Add zest, orange juice and brown sugar. Toss well.
- In small bowl, combine oats, flour, hazelnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and salt, if using. Stir in oil with fork to make a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over cranberry-apple filling and bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
Delicious Christmas Dessert
I made this recipe for my family for Christmas. My spouse had just had a bout with acute pancreatitis a month prior, so I needed something that would accommodate everyone. Since I didn’t have hazelnuts I used walnuts. Everyone thought it was delicious.