Spice up your late-summer dishes with an easy homemade relish. This one packs a variety of produce with vine-ripe tomatoes, sweet onion and savory Kalamata olives. Kick the mild Mediterranean flavor up a notch with a few dashes of chili sauce. Serve over fresh fish or chicken or use as a healthy spread on sandwiches.
- 1 1/2 lbs. firm vine-ripe tomatoes, preferably beefsteak variety
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tsp. Sriracha chili sauce or chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Peel tomatoes, using either serrated swivel-blade vegetable peeler or hot water method*.
- Halve tomatoes crosswise and scoop out seeds. Finely chop tomatoes including inner flesh.
- Place chopped tomatoes in mixing bowl. Add onion, olives, chili sauce, salt and pepper and combine.
- Cover relish and refrigerate 1 hour.
To peel tomatoes using the hot water method, drop 2-3 tomatoes at a time into a large pot of boiling water until the skins crack, 1-2 minutes. Immediately transfer tomatoes to a bowl of ice water. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, use your fingers to pull off the skin. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and use your thumb to push out seeds, then your fingers to remove pulpy ribs.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
Cancer prevention tomato and olive relish
This recipe sounds delicious, and would add zip to mild tilapia. Will be making this tomorrow! Thanks!