Enjoy your Independence Day barbecue this year by doing all the cooking ahead of time. This sweet and spicy twist on traditional pulled pork sandwiches takes just 15 minutes to prep before simmering deliciously in the slow cooker. Our homemade barbecue sauce features fresh peaches and a kick of Jalapeno peppers. Whip up a simple pasta salad and put out some veggie trays for a beautiful spread without stress.
- 2.5 lbs boneless pork loin roast (center cut, trimmed of all fat)
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup homemade spicy peach BBQ sauce
- 8 whole wheat buns
Jalapeño Peach BBQ Sauce
- 1 lb fresh peaches (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsps fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the sliced onion in the slow cooker and top with pork.
- Season pork with salt, vinegar, garlic and liquid smoke.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Remove pork and transfer onto a large dish; reserve the liquid into a cup and set aside.
- Shred the pork with two forks and put it back into the slow cooker along with about 3/4 cup of the reserved liquid and 1 cup of the BBQ sauce.
- Cook on high one more hour.
- Serve on whole wheat buns.
Jalapeño Peach BBQ Sauce
- Cut an “X” in bottom of each peach, and blanch in a medium saucepan of boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer peaches to a bowl of ice and cold water and cool. Peel peaches and coarsely chop.
- Sauté onion, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt in oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add peaches and remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until peaches are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor to desired consistency.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.