Lentils make a hearty alternative to meat in veggie burgers, soups and salads like this one. Legumes like lentils are rich in fiber, protein, iron and folate. Plus they’re a low-calorie option if your resolution this year is to watch your weight. This recipe can be ready in less than 30 minutes with relatively no prep so you can eat well even on a busy weeknight.
- 2 cups dried green or brown lentils
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup capers (diced if large)
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Rinse lentils and drain. Place in a pot and cover with about 3-4 inches of water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes (lentils should still be slightly al dente).
- While the lentils are cooking, make the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together (or shaking in a jar with a tight-fitting lid).
- When the lentils are cooked, remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process.
- Add lentils to a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Mix in the onion and capers.
- Add arugula, cucumber, walnuts and feta just before serving.
If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor please contact our Corporate and Foundations Relations Department at email@example.com. All AICR Healthy Recipes meet AICR recipe guidelines and are reviewed and analyzed by AICR Registered Dietitians.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.