AICR’s New American Plate promotes a cancer-prevention diet rich in plant foods such as fruits, nuts and whole grains, and this muffin recipe certainly delivers. These easy-to-make blueberry muffins call for blueberries, which are rich in disease-fighting antioxidants, walnuts and whole-wheat pastry flour. Whole-wheat pastry flour is made from stone ground white whole wheat. It has 4 grams of fiber per 1 cup and has a soft texture, so it’s ideal for baked goods like muffins.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup finely or roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana, (from 1 banana)
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar, plus 1 Tbsp., optional
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or extra-virgin olive, olive, or avocado)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and lightly coat liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place flour, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in medium-size mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Place eggs, yogurt, banana, 3 tablespoons sugar, oil, zest, lemon juice and vanilla in smaller mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, optional. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in muffin pan; remove to cooling rack and cool completely.
- If you don’t have muffin liners, simply spray the muffin tins with non-stick spray, and fill with batter.
- You may substitute whole-wheat pastry flour by using half all-purpose and half whole-wheat flour.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
Hello aicr.org Administrator, similar below: Link Text