This delicious one-pan meal is a great staple recipe that comes together quickly, and it’s packed with cancer-fighting ingredients. The salmon is rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, while also being low in saturated fat. Butternut squash and Brussels sprouts add color and flavor to the meal along with a hearty dose of cancer-protective fiber. Soy sauce, ginger and a touch of maple syrup tie in the flavors for this one-pan meal.
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced plus 3 whole cloves, smashed
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 4 5oz. skin-on salmon filets
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (around 2 lbs.)
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved (or quartered, if large)
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In baking dish, stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, lime juice, red pepper flakes, 1 clove minced garlic and ginger. Place salmon in marinade, skin side up.
- Place squash and Brussels sprout in a single layer on baking sheet. Add olive oil and pepper and toss to coat. Place smashed garlic cloves among the vegetables. Roast vegetables for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir, pushing vegetables aside in 4 spots to leave openings for each salmon filet. Place salmon on pan skin side down in the open spaces. Pour any remaining marinade over salmon and return pan to oven for another 12 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish salmon with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
- You may substitute sweet potatoes for butternut squash and honey for maple syrup (or omit the sweetener entirely).
- This recipe can also be adapted for different types of fish and vegetable. Less hearty vegetables such as asparagus or green beans will not require as long a cook time.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.