Stir-frying is a quick and easy way to cook vegetables so that they retain their vibrant color and healthful nutrients. This recipe combines cancer-fighting broccoli, protein-rich pork and the nutty crunch of cashews. Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables contain glucosinolates, compounds that may help decrease inflammation and cancer risk. Serve over brown rice for a healthy boost of fiber.
- 3 tsp. sesame oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into ¼ -inch strips
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 8 oz. boneless pork loin chips, cut into 1-inch by ½ -inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted cashews chopped
- 1. In large non-stick skillet or wok, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper and carrot and sauté until tender. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- 1. Heat another 1 tsp. oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove broccoli and set aside with vegetables.
- 1. Heat last tsp. oil over medium heat and stir-fry pork, garlic and red pepper flakes for 4 to 5 minutes or until pork is no longer pink. Stir in scallions and ginger and sauté for an additional minute. Stir in vegetables. Add soy sauce and broth. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- 1. Divide rice among four dinner bowls and top each serving with stir-fry. Sprinkle cashews on top and serve.
This recipe is reprinted from The New American Plate Cookbook, which features 200 mouth-watering recipes and color photos. It is available from bookstores and online booksellers. Proceeds from sales fund cancer research.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.