This rich, savory, scrambled tofu dish will satisfy every palate. With a hint of earthy greens and sun-dried tomatoes, this hearty scramble can go from breakfast to dinner easily. Serve it with whole-grain bread and avocados for a hearty meal filled with protein, whole grains, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and plant compounds linked to health benefits.
This recipe pairs zesty seasonings with green onions, garlic, mushrooms, leafy greens and sun-dried tomatoes. You can use whatever greens you have growing in your garden or you can find in your local farmers market or grocery store, whether it be spinach, kale, chard or mustard greens.
It’s a good idea to include more plant-based proteins, such as tofu, in our diet more often, as plant-based eating patterns have been linked with disease protection, including reduced risks of heart disease, certain types of cancer and type 2 diabetes. So go ahead and include more plant proteins, such as this tofu scramble, in your meals every day for health benefits and good taste!
- 1 14-oz. package extra- firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Pinch sea salt (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. plain, unsweetened soymilk
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. (about 2 1/4 cups) sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups loosely packed chopped greens (e.g., mustard, collard, spinach, kale)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Remove tofu from package and press it by wrapping it in paper towels and placing it between two plates with something heavy on top for 5 minutes, to allow extra liquid to drain off tofu.
- Place tofu in bowl and break apart with your hands to achieve a crumbly texture. Mix in nutritional yeast, turmeric, smoked paprika, black pepper, salt (optional) and soymilk. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and sauté green onions, garlic and mushrooms for about 5 minutes.
- Add crumbled tofu, chopped greens and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté just until greens start to wilt (about 2 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
Learn how to press tofu here: https://sharonpalmer.com/2014-05-20-how-to-use-a-tofu-press/
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.