This combination of mushrooms, barley and carrots makes for a soup packed high in vitamin B6 and packed with fiber. Enjoy this recipe as a comforting main dish or simple side soup on cool-weather days.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 5 cups (about 3/4 pound) chopped mushrooms
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add barley and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add 4 cups of broth and bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in nonstick pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until mushrooms are tender. Add Worcestershire sauce and stir for 1 minute. Remove mushrooms from heat. Stir in carrots and set aside.
- After barley has simmered for 40 minutes, add mushroom and carrot mixture and remaining 2 cups of broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, until vegetables and barley are very tender. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
Amazing Mushroom Soup
I made this for my mother as she is currently fighting pancreatic cancer. It is absolutely delicious! This is the 2nd recipe I have tried. The first was the Quick Eight Vegetable soup which was also delicious!