This recipe is a delicious brunch favorite that packs protein, B-vitamins and cancer-protective phytochemicals. Eggs are an inexpensive protein source, and only contain about 70-80 calories per serving. This omelet features potatoes, fresh spring herbs and red onions. Onions, garlic and chives are allium vegetables that contain quercetin and allixin, compounds that may play a role in cancer prevention.
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and diced or shredded
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil and chives
- Salt, to taste
- Sprigs of fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- In large pan, add potatoes. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, not mushy. Drain well.
- In deep 10-inch non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Combine whole eggs and egg whites. Stir in parsley, basil and chives. Season with salt if desired. Pour mixture over potatoes in hot skillet. Reduce heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until bottom of omelet is golden.
- If desired, brown top under toaster oven. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs. Serve immediately.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
To the aicr.org Owner.
Fnxv vfd Urk
Hi aicr.org Owner.
Amanda had tried everything to lose weight, but after having her second son, the weight wasn’t coming off. She tried all the popular plans like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, even some crazy fad diets from Doctor Oz…
Until she discovered an enjoyable way to lose weight that fit right in with her busy lifestyle. It was so easy that ANYONE could do it.
Amanda has used this method to lose over 70 lbs. AND keep ALL the weight off!
This one video will change the entire way you look at weight loss.