In November 2007, AICR and the World Cancer Research Fund published Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective, the most comprehensive report on diet and cancer ever completed.
The Report took six years to produce, and the process was transparent, objective and comprehensive. First, the global scientific literature was searched for relevant studies. Initial searches found some half a million studies, which were soon culled to 22,000. Ultimately, over 7,000 scientific studies were deemed relevant and met the report’s rigorous criteria.
These studies were independently reviewed, compiled and presented to an Expert Panel of 21 world-renowned scientists, who judged the accumulated evidence and developed 10 Recommendations for Cancer Prevention.
For much more information, visit the Expert Report’s website http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/.
These ten recommendations for cancer prevention are drawn from the WCRF/AICR Second Expert Report. Each recommendation below links more details.
You can use these links to skip to individual recommendation pages, or you can start with the first and follow links from page to page through the entire list.
- Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods.
- Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes such as beans.
- Limit consumption of red meats (such as beef, pork and lamb) and avoid processed meats.
- If consumed at all, limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day.
- Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
- Don't use supplements to protect against cancer.
- * It is best for mothers to breastfeed exclusively for up to 6 months and then add other liquids and foods.
- * After treatment, cancer survivors should follow the recommendations for cancer prevention.
*Special Population Recommendations
And always remember do not smoke or chew tobacco.
Published on 2014-12-09 11:36:35.0