When the weather cools down, heat up your kitchen with these savory curry chicken skewers. Curry powder is a unique combination of spices like turmeric and ginger, which are being studied for their anti-inflammatory properties. A Greek yogurt marinade flavors and tenderizes the chicken and lends protection against the formation of unhealthy substances while cooking. Pair with our delicious mint raita sauce for extra flavor and to keep the heat at bay.
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt, divided
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat coconut milk, divided
- 2 tsp. curry powder, mild or hot
- 1-2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 lb. skinless and boneless chicken breast
- 12 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- In wide, shallow bowl or deep plate, combine 2 tbsp. of yogurt with 2 tbsp. of coconut milk, curry powder, garlic and ½ tsp. salt. Mix in oil.
- Cut chicken lengthwise into 12 strips. Insert skewer into bottom of one chicken strip and work it up lengthwise to top. Repeat with remaining chicken. Place skewers in curry marinade and using your fingers, make sure it coats them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours.
- Arrange marinated chicken on paper toweling and blot dry, removing all excess marinade. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat, then coat with cooking spray (Or heat stovetop griddle). Arrange skewers in one layer in pan and cook for 2 minutes, browning chicken. Using tongs, turn skewers and brown on another side, 2 minutes. Turn chicken and cook until it is opaque and hot around skewer at thickest part of chicken. Transfer skewers to serving plate.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the raita. In bowl, combine remaining yogurt and coconut milk with onions, mint, lime juice and remaining salt. When possible, make raita 30 minutes before serving chicken to allow its flavors to develop and meld. Serve it the day it is made.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.