The secret to these flavorful turkey burgers is the aromatic combination of fresh herbs, onions, and garlic mixed with mashed sweet potato and spinach. Filled with extra veggies, this burger makes AICR’s recommendations easy to follow. Plus the fresh herbs are loaded with an abundance of phytochemicals that promote good health and may help prevent inflammation.
Sweet Potato and Spinach Turkey Burgers
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 cups medium packed fresh spinach, chopped small
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 whole-grain buns or 6 large lettuce leaves
- Cooking spray
- Microwave sweet potato 4-6 minutes or steam 15 minutes until tender.
- While sweet potato is cooking, prepare grill and set heat on medium-high. If broiling, set top rack on second rung (at least 6 inches from broiler) and set heat on broil. Prepare large broiler pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mash sweet potato. Add turkey, spinach, onion, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper and oil. Mix together and form 6 patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Grill patties 4-8 minutes on each side or until center is 165 degrees F. If broiling, arrange patties on broiler pan and broil 4-8 minutes on each side or until center is 165 degrees F.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.