Vivid vegetables don’t just add color to a dish; they also pack important phytochemicals. Green peppers are rich in lutein, red peppers are packed with beta-carotene and tomatoes provide lycopene. This recipe features a rainbow of healthy veggies and flavorful wild rice packed inside an edible pepper bowl. Ground turkey adds lean protein and onions and garlic lend flavor and cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms (any kind)
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots, steamed and cut into ½ -inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 4 large green or red bell peppers, tops removed and seeded*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Sauté onion and mushrooms until onions are translucent. Add turkey, spinach, tomatoes, garlic and seasonings and cook until turkey is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Place turkey mixture in large mixing bowl and add carrots and wild rice. Combine well. Using spoon, lightly pack mixture into peppers.
- Place peppers in 9-inch square oven dish, add 1/4 cup water to bottom of pan and bake about 45-50 minutes or until peppers are just tender. Serve.
* save tops to cover peppers during baking for a moister filling
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.