Make this summer all about the side dishes with this recipe for a punchy bean salad. A variety of beans provides folate, iron, potassium, selenium and a range of antioxidants. Not just good for your heart, all legumes are rich in dietary fiber, which can help lower your risk for colorectal cancer. Flavorful herbs and a simple dressing of olive oil, vinegar and lemon make this a healthy addition to any picnic.
- 1 can (15-oz.) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-oz.) butter beans, rinsed and drained (cooked fresh beans may be substituted)
- 1 can (15-oz.) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar (either white wine or apple cider work well)
- Juice of one lemon
- dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp. Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In large bowl, add beans. Mix in onion, celery, garlic, parsley, basil and rosemary, adding tomatoes last to keep them from unnecessarily breaking apart.
- In separate mixing bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Add dressing to beans and toss gently to coat.
- Chill for at least an hour to allow beans to absorb flavor. Re-toss gently and serve.
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil may be substituted for the basil.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.