Coleslaw is a staple side with BBQ and Tex-Mex style dishes. This citrus-based version combines the natural sweetness of orange juice, mango and apple with the heat of jalapeño pepper to help bring out the natural flavors of the veggies. Featuring colorful bell peppers, this slaw is rich in beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C and contains a variety of phytochemicals that may help reduce your risk of cancer. Pair with fish tacos, grilled chicken, or use as a flavorful topping in salads and wraps.
- 1 orange, juice yields only
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 mango, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 apple, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Purée first 3 ingredients in blender or food processor until dressing is smooth.
- Place jalapeño, mango, peppers, apple and cilantro in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to mix and coat well. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cover and refrigerate until vegetables soften a little but remain crunchy, about 4 hours. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.