This recipe borrows the natural sweetness of Medjool dates, along with the rich flavors of walnuts and dark chocolate, to craft a delicious, healthy version of this classic cookie. Enjoy this sweet treat with your loved ones during the holiday season, pack them into a lunch box any day, or serve them with fresh fruit or sorbet the next time you host dinner guests.
- 1/2 cup soft dairy-free margarine spread, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. egg replacer**
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced, pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or broken dark chocolate pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Mix together margarine, vanilla, and honey in a small bowl.
- Combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and egg replacer in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the margarine mixture and mix well to form a crumbly dough.
- Stir in the walnuts, dates, and chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls and place about 3 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown
- These cookies store very well in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Vegan egg replacers can be found in powdered form. Examples include Ener-G, VeganEgg, Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer. You can substitute 1 whole egg if not using egg replacers.
This recipe is by Sharon Palmer, RDN, The PlantPowered Dietitian. She is a Los Angeles-based, award-winning food and nutrition writer, plant-based food expert, and author of Plant-Powered for Life and The Plant-Powered Blog.
If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor please contact our Corporate and Foundations Relations Department at email@example.com. All AICR Healthy Recipes meet AICR recipe guidelines and are reviewed and analyzed by AICR Registered Dietitians.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
Date ,Walnut and Dark Chocolate cookies
Easy to make, came out light. Gentle sweetness that’s not over the top. I’ll make again.