Banana bread is a classic comfort food that takes full advantage of the tradition of reserving over-ripe bananas for a delicious treat. This updated version of banana bread is far healthier than many standard recipes, which are typically filled with added sugars, oils and refined grains.
Completely plant-based, this banana bread recipe is thickened with the power of chia seeds and it features 100% whole wheat flour, as well as a small amount of added sugar and oil. That’s because three ripe bananas power the natural sweetness of this bread. Plus, it packs in three types of nuts, two types of seeds, and coconut! This combination of whole grains, fruits, nuts and seeds means this bread is filled with healthy fats, plant-powered proteins, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. You can feel good about packing this into kids’ lunch boxes, bringing some to work, or even setting leftovers on the breakfast table.
This banana bread is also a great way to boost whole grains in your diet, which can help you lower your risk of colorectal cancer. It’s a good idea to make at least half of your grains whole grain—about three servings per day—in order to fit in all of those special fibers and plant compounds found in these plant foods. Whole grains are grains that include all of the nutrient-packed parts of the grain kernel—the bran, germ, and endosperm. Refined grains skip out on the bran and germ, thus, losing out on the health potential of these nutritious components of the grain. So, go ahead and get more whole grains in your diet, starting today with this nutty, delicious recipe.
Get Nutty Whole Grain Banana Bread
- 3 ripe medium bananas, peeled, mashed
- ½ cup milk or soymilk, plain, unsweetened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut, unsweetened, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- 3 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, whip together bananas, soymilk, vegetable oil, chia seeds, vanilla, and sugar for two minutes. For best results, use an electric mixer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing only until well combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 65 minutes, until fork inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove, cool slightly before slicing.
- Slice into 12 slices.
*You may substitute other nuts and seeds for those listed, such as sesame, hazelnuts, pecans, flax, and pumpkin seeds.
Serving Size: 1 slice Calories: 221, Sugar: 9 g, Sodium: 60 mg, Fat: 13 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 5 g
This recipe was created by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.