This creamy, comforting twist on risotto tastes decadent, but is actually much healthier (and easier) than the traditional version. Classic risotto is made with white (arborio) rice and large quantities of high fat ingredients, such as butter and cheese. This slow cooker quinoa version is made with whole-grain quinoa and numerous other Foods that Fight Cancer™, including spinach and garlic. This one-pot meal is both simple and delicious and makes for great leftovers to eat throughout the week.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 1 1/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (plus up to 1 cup additional, if needed at the end)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. each of dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil*
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 cups roughly chopped, packed spinach
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place all ingredients except spinach and cheese in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- When almost done cooking, the liquid should be absorbed, and the mixture should be slightly sticky. If very sticky, add up to 1 cup additional broth and stir to combine until texture is creamy.
- Stir in spinach and cheese, cover and continue cooking just until spinach begins to wilt (about 2-5 minutes).
*May substitute coconut oil with oil of your choice.
- This dish can be made vegan by omitting the chicken, swapping chicken broth for vegetable broth and replacing the Parmesan cheese with ¼ cup nutritional yeast.
- Quinoa risotto can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
Used Instant Pot and made a few adjustments
I made it in the IP according to the directions in a previous comment. I omitted the chicken and used vegetable broth. I substituted a little goat cheese in place of the parm. I didn’t have mushrooms, so I drizzled with a touch of truffle oil. The results were fabulous! I can’t wait to make it again when I have mushrooms!
Thank you so much for this amazing recipe, I loved it 🙏😋
Ust the instant pot
Did this in the instant pot – 1 minute and natural release….easy and delish. If it’s “soupy” when you open, just put the top back on and do “0” cook”. It was delish!
Too long to make it. It is only chicken
Good ingredients but cook for 3 hrs?. The chicken probably doesn’t taste like chicken anymore
Healthy, Flavorful and filling
Great recipe! So easy to make and clean up is a cinch! My sister is recovering and she loved it! Thanks for such a healthy recipe.