Here is a classic marriage: the invigorating color and crunch of red cabbage with the sweetness of grated apples. A touch of allspice complements the familiar flavors. There is an ample dose of fiber and a panoply of phytochemicals, but mostly there is rich, layered flavor.
- 2 cups apple juice or cider, unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage (about 2/3 pound)
- 2 medium sweet apples, peeled, cored and grated
- Salt, to taste
- In medium saucepan over high heat, bring apple juice, vinegar and allspice to a boil.
- Add cabbage, apples and salt. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally until cabbage is tender.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
This recipe is reprinted from The New American Plate Cookbook, which features 200 mouth-watering recipes and color photos. It is available from bookstores and online booksellers. Proceeds from sales fund cancer research.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.