If you’re looking to mix up your grains, look no further than quinoa. This seed can be cooked and used in place of grains and contains all essential amino acids, making it a good source of protein. Pairing with broccoli and cauliflower gives this bowl a fresh crunch and adds vitamin C, folate and cancer protective glucosinolates. These compounds may decrease inflammation, a risk factor for cancer.
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fat free, reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In skillet, heat 2 tsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, ½ cup onion and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Stir in herbs and sauté 2 minutes. Remove from stove top and set aside.
- In strainer, place quinoa and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Using your hand, swish quinoa under running water for 2 minutes to remove bitter natural coating. Drain and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion. Sauté about 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and quinoa. Increase heat to bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in vegetable mixture and combine well with quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.