Filling 2/3 of your plate with colorful fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds just got a whole lot easier thanks to these vegetarian tacos. Shelled pistachios are the nutritional superstar in the filling and they’re part of the avocado lime crema too. One serving of pistachios has 6 grams of complete plant protein and 3 grams of fiber, and most of the fat is the better-for-you monounsaturated kind. You can serve these meatless-tacos with a colorful build-your-own toppings bar, including diced avocado, chopped cabbage, diced bell pepper, cilantro and mint leaves, salsa and shredded cheese.
Pistachio Crumble Filling
- 3/4 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, divided
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice (about 1 cup; reserve a few tablespoons for the topping)
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, roughly chopped (1¼ cups)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
- kosher salt, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
Avocado Lime Crema
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 Tbsp. plain reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- Juice of half a lime, about 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pistachio
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- A few pinches chipotle powder
- Place all pistachios in food processor and pulse several times until roughly chopped. Set nuts aside and wipe bowl of food processor clean.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder and chipotle powder and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 minutes. (Adjust heat if it’s too high.) Stir in ½ cup of chopped pistachios, and season with salt, to taste.
- For crema, place avocado, yogurt, lime juice, 2 Tbsp. chopped pistachios, cilantro, mint, salt and chipotle powder in bowl of food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well combined. Season to taste with additional salt and chipotle powder, if desired.
- Top corn tortillas evenly with pistachio filling; top with avocado crema and remaining chopped pistachios. Add optional toppings as desired such as avocado slices, chopped cabbage, diced bell pepper, cilantro and mint leaves, salsa or shredded reduced-fat cheese.
If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor please contact our Corporate and Foundations Relations Department at email@example.com. All AICR Healthy Recipes meet AICR recipe guidelines and are reviewed and analyzed by AICR Registered Dietitians.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.