Chicken soup may be a winter staple, but zesty lime and fresh avocado can easily dress this dish up for a rainy summer day. This recipe features a medley of colorful veggies, Italian herbs and juicy citrus. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C. They’re also packed with phytochemicals like limonoids and flavonoids, making them an excellent part of any cancer-protective meal.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 3 medium limes, 2 cut in half, 1 cut into 6 wedges for garnish
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, cut into ½ -inch cube
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic for 6 minutes or until tender.
- Add whole chicken breast, corn, tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, oregano and cumin to pot. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Over high heat bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 55 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast to large platter and shred using two folks. Return chicken to soup.
- Over strainer to catch seeds, squeeze juice of 2 limes into soup. Add cilantro and gently stir. Ladle soup into serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with avocado, garnish with lime wedge and serve.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.