This one-pot risotto features ancient grains, peas, and zesty lemon. Sorghum is an up-and-coming whole grain that packs plenty of fiber, protein and cancer-fighting compounds. Shrimp adds extra protein, but can easily be substituted with fall veggies for a vegetarian version of this comforting classic.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. shrimp, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum (optional, rinsed and soaked overnight)*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas (no-salt added)
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and chop roughly on a cutting board. Set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add toasted sorghum back to pan with onion and garlic and stir around for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and stir gently, allowing sorghum to absorb the liquid.
- Once first cup of broth is absorbed, add 3 more cups vegetable broth, cover with lid, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, stirring periodically, or until broth is almost completely absorbed and the sorghum is tender (if the sorghum is hard, add more broth and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes).
- Add peas, shrimp, pepper and lemon juice, stir, and cook for 4-5 minutes (add more broth if needed).
- Remove from heat. Add basil, cheese and lemon zest and stir. Garnish with a sprinkle of freshly chopped basil on top.
If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor please contact our Corporate and Foundations Relations Department at email@example.com. All AICR Healthy Recipes meet AICR recipe guidelines and are reviewed and analyzed by AICR Registered Dietitians.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.