This warm, spiced soup is just the dish to chase the first winter chill away. A subtle combination of carrots, citrus and fragrant ginger, it can be served as a colorful appetizer or alongside a light sandwich for a leisurely lunch. Beta-carotene from carrots, vitamin C from orange juice and gingerol from ginger—all provide beneficial antioxidant properties.
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 large strips orange zest
- 1 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped chives*
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions. Sauté about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth and orange zest strips. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, uncover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10-12 minutes. Let mixture cool for several minutes. Discard orange zest strips.
- Working in batches, in food processor or blender purée mixture until velvety smooth. Return soup to pot. Stir in ginger, orange juice and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Over low heat, let soup simmer for 5 minutes for flavors to mingle. Top with chives and serve immediately.
*Dill may be substituted for chives.
This recipe is reprinted from The New American Plate Cookbook, which features 200 mouth-watering recipes and color photos. It is available from bookstores and online booksellers. Proceeds from sales fund cancer research.
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
I doctored this recipe in as I popped more ginger in as well as dosing it at the end with cinnamon on my second time making it.
Hi aicr.org Owner, exact listed here: Link Text
Made this soup and the entire family ate it. Even better the next day.
Very helpful recipes and articles, thank you for all your hard work and research.m