Our 10 Recommendations for Cancer Prevention are a great starting point for any New Year’s health goal. At our annual research conference, we asked researchers and health professionals which guideline is the most difficult for them to follow. Their answers may surprise you.
A Little Recommendation Refresher
- Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods.
- Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes such as beans.
- Limit consumption of red meats (such as beef, pork and lamb) and avoid processed meats.
- If consumed at all, limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day.
- Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
- Don’t use supplements to protect against cancer.
- * It is best for mothers to breastfeed exclusively for up to 6 months and then add other liquids and foods.
- * After treatment, cancer survivors should follow the recommendations for cancer prevention.