Just one whiff of apple cider-glazed sweet potatoes with toasted pecan-coconut topping guarantees this redo of a classic comfort dish will be a family favorite at Thanksgiving and year round. Sweet potatoes rich in beta-carotene are also high in fiber that can slow absorption of carbohydrates and help reduce sugar surges after meals. Aromatic pumpkin spice is a convenient combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves – a must-have in your pantry.
Cider-Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Coconut Topping
By Dori Mitchell
2 large sweet potatoes (2 lbs.), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (6 cups)
1 1/2 cups apple cider
2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. pumpkin spice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup toasted coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup lightly toasted sweetened coconut flakes
- In large pot of boiling water, cook sweet potatoes 10 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, combine cider, sugar, butter, spice and salt. Bring to boil, stirring often.
- Add potatoes and reduce heat so liquid is simmering. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cranberries and continue cooking until liquid is reduced to syrupy glaze and potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If glaze becomes thick before potatoes become tender, thin with small amount of cider.
- When potatoes are desired tenderness, transfer to serving dish.
- Sprinkle with pecans and coconut and serve.
Per serving: 200 calories, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 100 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
About the author:
Dori Mitchell, MS, RDN is AICR’s coordinator for nutrition outreach. As a nutrition consultant, she developed with AICR the online and classroom versions of the New American Plate Challenge and enjoys coaching challengers on NAP Facebook. Dori enjoys keeping abreast of nutrition research and food trends to create educational programs and delicious recipes for optimal health.