A nutrient-dense, one-skillet recipe that you can whip up with minimal mess. Tilapia is packed with protein, vitamin B12 and selenium. Spinach adds a healthy dose of lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that help prevent cell damage and may reduce cancer risk. Prepare this meal when you want a simple yet delicious weeknight dinner.
- 4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 lb tilapia, 4 fillets
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, very thinly sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Put peppercorns in re-sealable plastic bag. Lay bag on cutting board and pound peppercorns using a mallet or rolling pin until coarsely crushed.
- Sprinkle both sides of fillets lightly with salt. Sprinkle and press crushed peppercorns on both sides of fillets. Set aside.
- In large bowl, toss spinach with 1 tablespoon oil until leaves glisten.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook until leaves collapse, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Transfer spinach to large plate, cover to keep warm and set aside. Wipe out pan and set aside.
- Using same bowl, toss onions with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add onions to plate with spinach.
- Wipe out skillet and coat with cooking spray. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add fillets and cook until browned and crusty on bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Using wide spatula, turn fish and cook until white in center at thickest part and flakes easily with fork, 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, arrange spinach in bed on each of four dinner plates. Place fish on top and arrange onions over fish.
This recipe contains cancer fighting foods:
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to AICR's Cancer Prevention Recommendations. Learn more about our recipe guidelines.
Recipes you might also love:
Leave a comment
We love to hear from the community! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.