Get to and stay a healthy weight
The New American Plate is not a “diet.” It is a simple model for eating in a way that prevents many cancers and keeps your weight in a healthy range.
Strategies for Weight Loss:
- Eat a greater proportion of plant-based foods, which are low in energy density
- Be physically active
- Reduce your portion size
How does the New American Plate help with weight loss?
- Fiber and water in plant foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains gives a feeling of fullness without supplying a lot of calories.
- New American Plate’s focus on portion size helps to moderate the amount of calories you eat. Gradually reduce the portion sizes of high calorie foods and choose plenty of fruits and vegetables that are naturally low in calories.
How can I get started?
- Take the New American Plate Challenge. It is a 12-week interactive program that gets you eating smarter, moving more and managing your weight. Sign up for the next New American Plate Challenge and get started.
- Connect with AICR on Facebook and Twitter
- Check out some tips for Cooking for Cancer Prevention