April 24, 2018
Cauliflower “Osso Bucco”
By Barbara Spalding
Cauliflower steaks are a great culinary alternative to various animal-based proteins. If you follow a plant-based diet, think about using them in place of beef, veal or other animal proteins. Foods that are rich in vitamin C, like cauliflower, can help with iron absorption. As a cruciferous vegetable that contains phytochemicals, cauliflower may also have cancer-fighting properties.
- 1 lb. fresh cauliflower head
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup no salt added tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (may need more)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Makes 3 serving.
Per Serving: 210 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 37 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein, 200 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and slice cauliflower into “steaks.”
- Dredge cauliflower in flour (you may need to dip it in water briefly first to get the flour to stick).
- Place olive oil in large skillet and briefly brown the cauliflower steaks on medium high heat until a rich golden color. Turn at least once during cooking to prevent burning and ensure steaks have a slight golden crust on both sides.
- Push cauliflower to the side of the pan (or remove it to a plate if pan is too crowded) and add the garlic, carrots and lemon zest. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and broth and stir until blended. (If you removed the cauliflower from the pan in step 3, add it back to the pan at this time.)
- Cover the pan and place in the 350 degree F oven to bake for approximately 45 minutes until the cauliflower is soft and the sauce is blended.
- Check on it periodically to ensure there is enough liquid in the pan (you are braising the cauliflower, so the liquid should partially cover it while it cooks).
- Adjust seasonings, if needed.
- To serve, garnish with gremolata.
- To make gremolata,: Using a small bowl, combine 4 cloves of finely minced garlic, 1/2 cup washed and finely chopped fresh parsley, and 1 Tbsp. lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
You May Also Like