Root Vegetable Soup with Toasted Almond Gremolata
Developed by Jordyn Bray from Hampton Roads, VA.
Second Place, 2016 AICR/C-CAP Winner
Jordyn received a $3,000 scholarship.
Ingredients for Soup:
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled, medium dice
- 3 medium turnips, peeled, medium dice
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, medium dice
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. soy butter
- 8 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 10 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt
Ingredients for Gremolata:
- 1 oz. sliced almonds
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 bunch minced parsley
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place vegetables in large bowl and toss with oil, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Divide vegetables evenly on two baking sheets and place in oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until soft, stirring vegetables halfway through.
Puree all vegetables with 3 Tbsp soy butter until no lumps appear. In large pot over medium heat, add pureed mixture and vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Place almonds on baking sheet and bake for 1-3 minutes, checking often. Mince.
To make gremolata, mix lemon zest, parsley, garlic and almonds in a bowl.
Garnish each bowl of soup with Greek yogurt and gremolata.
Makes 20 (1-cup) servings.
Per Serving: 132 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
19 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 120 mg sodium.