May 8, 2018
Mediterranean White Bean and Sorghum Salad
By Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian
Co-sponsored by United Sorghum Checkoff and American Pulse Association
Meal prep this healthy, delicious combination based on white beans, carrots, cauliflower, sorghum, pistachios, kale, and Mediterranean herbs. In about 45 minutes, you can put together 4 plant-based, gluten-free entrée salads for a week of healthy eating.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum, uncooked
Roasted Vegetables and White Beans:
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 15.5 oz. can white beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 small head cauliflower, separated into small florets
- 1 1/2 Tbsp.extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Sea salt (as desired, optional)
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into 4 wedges
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
Makes 4 meals.
Nutrition information per meal: 410 calories, 12 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 68 g carbohydrate, 17 g protein, 13 g fiber, 110 mg sodium.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add sorghum, cover, and simmer over medium for about 45 minutes, until just tender. Remove from burner. Drain any remaining liquid.
- While sorghum is cooking, prepare roasted vegetables and white beans.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- On a baking sheet, arrange a thin layer in vertical sections of: carrots slices, green bell pepper slices, red onion slices, white beans, and cauliflower florets.
- Drizzle oil and lemon juice evenly over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the vegetables evenly with: oregano, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, and sea salt (if desired).
- Mix the seasonings into the vegetables with tongs (or your hands) to distribute well.
- Place on top rack of the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Remove from the oven.
- Prepare each salad: In each of four glass rectangular containers, arrange kale, and top with one-fourth of the cooked sorghum and one-fourth of the roasted vegetables and white beans. Garnish with roasted pistachios. Add a lemon wedge. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- To serve, squeeze lemon wedge over salad and enjoy!
About the Author
Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian™, is an award-winning food and nutrition expert, journalist, and editor. She is author of The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Health, Beginning Today (The Experiment, 2012) and Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps & 125 Delicious Recipes(The Experiment, 2014). She blogs daily at The Plant-Powered Dietitian, and publishes her monthly The Plant-Powered Newsletter. Living in the chaparral hills overlooking Los Angeles with her husband and two sons, Sharon enjoys visiting her local farmers market, gardening, and cooking for friends and family.
*Sponsors of the Health-e-Recipe program play no role in AICR recipe development; all AICR Health-e-Recipes are developed according to AICR guidelines and tested by AICR staff experts. If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor, contact Jodi Street, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You May Also Like