July 17, 2018
Green Goddess Buddha Bowl
By Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian
Co-sponsored by United Sorghum Checkoff and American Pulse Association
Buddha bowls—light, healthy meals comprised of a whole grain, lots of vegetables, a healthful protein source, and a flavorful sauce—are all the rage. This bowl combines the star nutrition power of whole grain sorghum and beans with cool green veggies, such as arugula, avocados, cucumbers, asparagus, and pumpkin seeds. Plus, it’s topped with a house-made, plant-based Green Goddess Dressing that is as tasty as it is pretty.
- 2 cups cooked whole grain sorghum, cooled
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can white beans (i.e., Great Northern, cannellini)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed, sliced
- 4 cups packed baby arugula leaves
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. plain, unsweetened plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, coconut)
- 1/4 ripe large avocado, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber, with peel
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (i.e., dill, parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, cilantro)
- 1 stalk green onion, white and green parts, diced
- 1 small garlic clove
- Pinch white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Makes 4 meals.
Per serving: 393 calories, 9 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 69 g carbohydrate, 18 g protein, 18 g fiber, 20 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Cook whole grain sorghum to make 2 cups, according to package directions, and cool, draining any remaining liquid.
- Assemble dressing by placing all of the dressing ingredients into the container of a small blender and process until smooth.
- Rinse and drain white beans and set aside.
- Blanch asparagus by cooking it in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until tender, but bright green; set aside.
- Arrange 1 cup arugula leaves at the bottom of each large, individual serving bowl (4).
- Arrange over the arugula leaves in each bowl (4):
- 1/4 of the white beans (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup cooked, cooled sorghum
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- 1/4 of the cucumber slices (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 of the blanched, cooled asparagus
- A dollop (about 2 tablespoons) of Green Goddess Dressing (see below)
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Serve immediately.
About the Author
Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian™, is an award-winning food and nutrition expert, journalist, and editor. She is author of The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Health, Beginning Today (The Experiment, 2012) and Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps & 125 Delicious Recipes(The Experiment, 2014). She blogs daily at The Plant-Powered Dietitian, and publishes her monthly The Plant-Powered Newsletter. Living in the chaparral hills overlooking Los Angeles with her husband and two sons, Sharon enjoys visiting her local farmers market, gardening, and cooking for friends and family.
*Sponsors of the Health-e-Recipe program play no role in AICR recipe development; all AICR Health-e-Recipes are developed according to AICR guidelines and tested by AICR staff experts. If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor, contact Jodi Street, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, email@example.com.
You May Also Like