September 12, 2017
By Sonja Goedkoop
Sponsored by California Walnut Commission
Enjoy the crispiness of fried fish with a healthy twist by baking fresh tilapia, coated in crushed walnuts and whole wheat bread crumbs. Walnuts contain high levels of polyphenols, which are phytochemicals that have antioxidant properties. They’re also rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and other important nutrients including copper and manganese. Done in 20 minutes, this simple recipe makes the perfect weekday dinner.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 lb tilapia
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and coat baking dish with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Beat egg in mixing bowl and add lemon zest, remaining olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix walnuts and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
- Dip fish into egg mixture. Then dredge in crumb-nut mixture, coating both sides well. Place breaded fillets on prepared cooking dish.
- Bake for 17 minutes (or until inside of filet appears opaque) and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Per Serving: 253 calories, 11 g total fat (2 g. saturated fat),
11 g carbohydrate, 27 g protein, 2 g fiber, 148 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
About the author:
Sonja Goedkoop, MSPH, RD, is the lead registered dietitian at Zesty, Inc. She is passionate about helping others improve their health through diet and physical activity and believes eating nutritious food should be easy and taste great. You can follow her on Twitter @SonjaGoedkoopRD.
*Sponsors of the Health-e-Recipe program play no role in AICR recipe development; all AICR Health-e-Recipes are developed according to AICR guidelines and tested by AICR staff experts. If you're interested in becoming a corporate sponsor, contact Jodi Street, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, email@example.com.