Kebabs with Kids
It’s now officially summertime – school’s out and it’s grilling season. Add in some seasonal vegetables and you have a fun summer activity with your kids that can help them enjoy healthy foods.
If you and your kids have a vegetable garden, that’s great. But a trip to the farmers’ market or grocery store with your child can also introduce them to a variety of colorful vegetables. They can pick out their own vegetables to grill, or you can use the ones suggested in the recipe below.
This Vegetable Kebabs recipe is healthy, sure. But just as important, it’s tasty and pretty fun to make. Plus, kebab is an excellent word to say.
- 1 small eggplant, cut in half lengthwise, then into thick chunks (peeled, if desired)
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then into thick chunks
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut in half lengthwise, then into thick chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into eighths
- 1 small red onion, sliced and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. minced fresh basil (or 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. dried), divided
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Thread 8 skewers with vegetable chunks. Place the vegetables in a shallow glass or plastic dish large enough to hold the skewers.
For marinade, whisk together in small bowl the vinegar, oil and 1/4 cup of fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried). Pour marinade over vegetables. Let stand for 10 minutes, occasionally turning skewers so marinade coats all sides.
While vegetables marinade, place yogurt, mayonnaise, remaining 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried) and lemon juice in blender and mix at low speed until smooth.
Place skewers on grill and cook until tender. Serve with dressing drizzled over top.
NOTE: These kebabs can also be cooked under the oven broiler.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 97 calories, 7 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrate,
3 g fiber 2 g protein, 36 mg sodium
Published on 07/01/2012