The CUP Process
The CUP is an ongoing review and captures new research from around the world as it is published. The CUP database is continually updated with all of the latest relevant papers from randomized control trials and cohort studies published for 17 cancers and breast cancer survivors.
- A team conducts 18 SLRs – gathering and presenting the best-available, current, scientific evidence from around the world.
- The SLRS are peer reviewed by external peer reviewers.
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) provides expert reviews of the biological mechanisms to support the epidemiological evidence.
- In addition to the cancer site – focused reports, WCRF/AICR conducts a review of evidence on energy balance and body fatness (the determinants of weight gain, overweight and obesity.
- The CUP Panel evaluates and interprets the evidence and, where possible the likelihood that the exposures studied increase, decrease or have no effect on the risk of cancer.
- The Panel makes recommendations for the public based on its judgment of the strength of the evidence.